Friday, April 22, 2011

{German Holiday Traditions} Easter bread

Hefekranz mit getrockneten Früchten und Ostereiern Rezept
A German Easter Tradition is to bake Easter bread called Osterkranz (Easter wreath) or Osterzopf (Easter bread). The dough is a yeast dough (Hefeteig). You can use the same recipe for both forms, it is up to you to form a wreath or bread loaf. You can also vary the ingredients to make a sweet bread or a more rustic bread. Tradition calls for raisins, but nowadays people use apricots, nuts, herbs and lot's more.
Hefezopf - herrliches Traditionsgebäck zu Ostern - aprikosen-mandel-zopf

You eat this either for Easter breakfast or for Easter coffee that afternoon. I love it best when I can dunk it in coffee or hot chocolate. Here is the recipe.

Ingredients

150 g mixed dried fruit (raisins, apricots)
500g flour
1 pack yeast
200ml milk
80g soft butter
60g sugar
pinch of salt
2 eggs
1 egg yolk
powdered sugar for dusting (optional)

To make

Soften butter, add yeast to milk and disolve. Add Flour, sugar and salt to a bowl, mix, then add butter, yeast milk and dried fruit. Mix with an electric mixer until dough is smooth. Put flour on your workspace and half the dough. Form two strings from the dough and braid together. Form a wreath on the baking sheet. Take egg yolk and add a bit milk, swirl, and brush on top of wreath. Bake on middle wrack for about 30 to 40 minutes at 350F. Let cool. Dust with powdered sugar if desired and add Easter eggs in the middle for decoration. Enjoy.
I'm linking to these meme's here. You can still enter my beachy giveaway at the DIY club here.



11 comments:

  1. Yumm ~ you have such a peaceful blog ;.)
    I love dobermans too ~ I had several growing up.

    New GFC follower from the Mingle With Us Blog Hop

    Karen
    Mommy's' Moments
    http://www.avonbykaren.blogspot.com
    http://www.facebook.com/mommysmoments
    http://www.twitter.com/MommysMoments

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited about this recipe! I've been enjoying delving into my ancestry through holiday recipes this year, so this German Easter bread is a must-try!! I'm sharing it with my readers on FB too! I always come away with a treasure from your blog. Thank you!

    Jenn/Rook No. 17

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh your bread looks soooo good,, Happy Easter,,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you believe it..., I have all forgotten about the Osterkranz! I remember having had that in Switzerland..., after all my Dad was a pastry chef. Are you going to make one??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look yummy!! I want to try making that. I have to find a converter online tho - I am LOST with grams and ml. :-(

    ReplyDelete
  6. That bread looks so yummy and pretty–perfect for Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks sinfully delicious (and pretty!).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your bread looks amazing. But the plate upon which your bread rests is even more amazing. Thanks for being a part of Seasonal Sundays.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks absolutely delicious- thanks for sharing the recipe and thank you for sharing at FNF! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Simone & Bella Luna~

    Love your blog & the Easter bread looks delish!! Thanks for linking all your great ideas to my K.I.S.S. blog bash last week, looking forward to seeing what you share this week. Happy to be a new follower. :)

    Drop By The Tattered Tag

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I am so happy you are here! Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. Hallo, ich freue mich das Du hier bist. Cheers, Simone and Bella Luna

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...