Monday, January 31, 2011

{Sea shell crafts} Uses for bivalve shells

, 005

Today I’m going to show you uses for shells such as quahogs, clams and cockles. They are large and sturdy enough for every day use. Pictured above is a sea shell napkin holder I made, click on the picture to go to the tutorial that I posted as a guest blogger at Mine for the Making.
Staying in the kitchen, I’m also using a pair of clam shells as salt and pepper shakers. I have them in different colors. The natural black ones I rubbed with food grade mineral oil to make them shiny. I spray painted the silver pair on the outside only.
025salt-shells-de-54960582

Looks great at a beachy setting or picnic.
I also use shells in the bathroom as soap dish holders = no mess. The soap can dry and there is nothing leaking onto the tile. And as I mentioned earlier, they are sturdy and can withstand a dropping or two.

007

I also have a silver painted quahog shell on my nightstand, where I put my rings at night. I have one by the sink as well, so you don’t have to put the ring down and then look for it.

008

As you can see these are easy and inexpensive ways to use shells in your every day life. Every time I look at the shells I am transported back to the beach!
I'm linking to Nifty thrifty Tuesdays, Crazy Domestic, Remodelaholic Fridays, Frugal Fridays, Feature yourself Friday,  Friday Feature, Show and Share Day, Flaunt it Friday   Fridays Nature Table, Tickled Pink, French Country Cottage, Everyting but the Kitchen Sink, Saturday Soiree, Weekend wRap up party, Chocolate Sunday Link up.

8 comments:

  1. What a great ideas! I love the napkin holder! Actually I love them ALL!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shells perform various duties in my house too, Simone. Your silver quahog is wonderful! Hugs to Bella Luna.

    Julia~

    ReplyDelete
  3. the silver shell for your rings is such a great idea! love the napkin holder, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are all so NIFTY THRIFTY...thanks for sharing the at NTT!

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there~ I adore shells and beachy decor and love how you are using yours! The shell for the ring holder is delightful! Thanks for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such beautiful and creative ways to use the shells! I would have never thought of the silver paint, and am really struck by the style and elegance! So glad I saw your feature on Tickled Pink! Jenn/Rook No. 17

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I am so happy you are here! Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. Hallo, ich freue mich das Du hier bist. Cheers, Simone and Bella Luna

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...