Monday, January 10, 2011

Sea glass jewelry

I can finally show what I made my family for Christmas this past year. Sea glass necklaces and key chains. I wanted to do something different than usual and something hand made by me.

011

I had to wait until now to post this, because otherwise they would have known what they are getting.

007

I first saw hand made sea glass necklaces on Maya’s blog ‘Completely Coastal’. We found some sea glass last summer on vacation in Florida. I decided to make sea glass necklaces for all the women in my family and for my youngest brother.

009

I used some pliers and wire that I already had. there are special pliers you can use for wiring, but for my simple project these worked just fine. the wire is 18 gauge. I just had to purchase the actual necklaces that I would attach the glass to.

059

I started by creating the design in my head, so I would have an idea of what to do. I recommend using more wire rather than less. Make the first bail approx. 1/3 from one end of the wire. Loop the wire over the pliers for that. I wrap the shorter end of the wire around itself to hold the bail, but there are different ways of doing this. Now grab the short end of the wire and curl the bail in itself a few times.

060

Place the wire on the back of the jewelry piece and place the short end where you have envisioned it by bending it around the glass to the front.

061

Then wrap the longer piece of wire around the glass a few times, make sure it is snug and curl the end of the wire in itself, and bend it to a place so it can secure the wire.

062
063

Cut off excess wire, if applicable. You are now ready to attach a necklace to the pendant. Et Voila! You are done.

065

You can read more about sea glass here.


What is your favorite sea glass piece? Do you own any? I’d love to hear about it!
Linking to Masterpiece Monday, Metamorphis Monday, Tickled Pink and Friday's Nature Table, Saturday Soiree, Funky Junk Interiors SNS. Also linking to One Month to win it.

15 comments:

  1. I love your jewellry. I have not been to the beach for a few years but next time I get home I will look for some and see what I can do.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are beautiful Simone! Ich liebe the heart-shaped glass necklace!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have a seaglass masterpiece but I do love it. I I like the soft blues and greens. Great job on your pieces, what special gifts. I think I am on the hunt for a blue seaglass ring this year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank's Simone!!! This would make a great gift for valentines too..., especially the heart shaped sea glass. Really cool. I let you know when I post it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What some wonderful and unusual handmade gifts to make for loved ones...I bet they will be cherished.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So pretty! You did a great job. Everyone must have loved their gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the necklaces and I'm sure the recipients did too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the jewelry! Great job! I have some sea glass earrings that I purchased in Turks and Caicos that I just love!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your sea glass jewelry! Thank you for taking the time to show how you made it. You've inspired me to give it a try too! I'm going to feature your post on my top 10 favorite picks this Saturday. And I'm now a follower. I have no idea why I didn't follow already, too much going on sometime's I think! Mary :O)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wait, now I remember. I'm not sure how to follow you without a follower button. But I will try to add you to my blog list. Mary :O)

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are amazing. I like the fact that no two could ever be the same....very unique. I don't have any sea glass jewelry at this time, but they sure are original. Thanks for sharing the tutorial;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic...we love sea glass...that is what we collect at the beach...since we live in a protected area and just to teach the kiddos to leave the animals and shells there. We just discovered the best sea glass beach too.

    Your jewelry is pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I heart sea glass!! Thanks for auditioning for OMTWI!! Be sure to add the button to your post or sidebar! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love sea glass jewelry... thank you for the visit and glad to have found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely beautiful! I'm going to have to give this a try with some of the pieces my girls and I recently found.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! I am so happy you are here! Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. Hallo, ich freue mich das Du hier bist. Cheers, Simone and Bella Luna

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...